I am not too proud to admit that there are certain shows shown here that I do watch for fun, but I am old enough to understand that that is not how I need to act in order to succeed in this world--and that makes me in the minority of their viewers.
The video makes a good point--men and women do not have the predisposition for misogyny; the media and mainly family members (since these patterns are taught so early) account for this change in behavior/attitude. I am lucky to have come from a family where I was taught that I could be whatever I wanted to be, and had daily reinforcement of how smart and beautiful (which is a whole other subject altogether!) I was. I am also lucky to be married to a man that appreciates my intelligence and knows that, most likely, I will always work and have little interest in becoming a stay-at-home mom. I would like to be clear that this does not mean I think anything less of people who do choose that route, it is just a matter of personal preference. Plus, I haven't had a kid yet, so who knows! ;)
One thing Brian and I have had a conversation about in regards to all this is that he will sometimes make "funny" jokes about women doing (or rather, not being able to do) math or become president or other things that the media has deemed more male-appropriate. I know he means it totally as a joke, and I usually laugh, but I have said to him (and I mean it) that the second we have a child (boy OR girl) those have to stop completely. I may know it's a joke, but a young child doesn't.
Let's be frank though--I was always on a bit of a different wave-length than my teenage counterparts. When they were all reading Cosmo, I used to curl up with the newest copy of Biography magazine, and read real-life stories and interviews many times from or about woman growing up in an era where a powerful woman's worth wasn't built around how she looked or what size dress she wore.
No comments:
Post a Comment